Karate: kihon (basics)
The Muidokan karate basics include:
- Uke (blocks or deflections);
- Zuki (punches);
- Uchi (strikes),
- Geri (kicks);
- Dachi (stances);
- Sabaki (moving);
- Tenshin (evasion); and
- Ukemi (falling).
Members can click on the above links to go to the various resources pages.
Basics are effective tools which:
- isolate particular movements;
- train specific muscles for speed, power and timing;
- "groove" particular movements and reactions; develop body awareness and balance;
- exercise the full motion of practical and effective techniques even though only part of the motion of any given technique might be utilized in combat, depending on the circumstances; and
- in a world of infinite angles, movements and possibilities, provide some framework within which to interpret and respond to a situation.